BEAT THE HEAT WITH SUMMER COOL TIPS BY MS. NEETI CHOPRA
Inputs by Ms. Neeti Chopra, Skin & Hair Expert, Unwind Salon & Cafe, Saket, New Delhi
- How you can protect your skin by getting Sun tan?
- If you are out of your office or home between 10 AM till 4 PM, then your skin is constantly exposed to harmful UV rays, so using a good sunscreen with a minimum of SPF30 is a must. The key with sunscreen is to re-apply it throughout the day at equal time intervals of 2-3 hours. It should be applied thoroughly to all the exposed area of the body at least 15 minutes before heading out in the sun. Prolonged Exposure to sun can lead to dark spots or patches. Covering eyes with sunglasses and applying a sun protecting balm on lips before heading outdoors in summers is essential too. A waterproof sunscreen should be used by people who sweat excessively.
- Most crucial is that we must at all times ensure that our skin is cleansed and refreshed so as to avoid any sweat & oil deposits. This in turn helps in avoiding any clogging of the pores and causing black heads, pimples or acne.
- What are the beauty treatments one should follow during summers?
- It is most essential to take care of our skin during the harsh summer months. Wearing a scarf, cap or using a UV shielding cream before stepping outdoors helps in protecting the hair from harmful UV rays. Hydrafacials are a must to keep your face & neck skin from becoming dull due to the harsh heat. A simple toner to use at home is cool Rose Water. Wearing sunscreen before stepping out is non-negotiable. Regular manicures and pedicures ensure proper exfoliation & moisturization of hands and feet. Body scrubs & packs followed with a light moisturizer for your entire body helps in ensuring soft & supple skin throughout summers.
- How to be healthy during summers?
- Your diet essentially decides how you look and feel. Eating seasonal fruits & vegetables full of antioxidants ensures good nutrition levels. Avoiding dehydration in the intense summer heat is paramount as it causes electrolyte imbalance due to excessive sweating which in turn harshly effects our skin. One should drink lots of water and other liquids such as tender coconut water & buttermilk to keep themselves hydrated and beat the body heat. One should avoid excessive fried food as this leads to lethargy & makes the skin look unhealthy.
- Which Fruits and Vegetables will be good for your health in summers?
- An excellent mix of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, cereals, and pulses should be eaten as it provides a fine balance of all the nutrients that our body requires. Cucumber and tomatoes are a good option for summer salads; onion should be avoided as it creates body heat. Capsicum and cabbage shreds are good for taste and also provide the goodness of roughage to maintain hydration in the system. Watermelon and muskmelon are good fruits to eat in summer as they are high in their water content.
- Some suggestions to women?
- Women should exercise, preferably follow a fitness regime on a daily basis – a brisk walk, yoga, Pilates, strength training etc. Regularity in your fitness regime ensures good health, mind and body. Keeping good body hygiene levels, wearing loose natural fabrics, keeping oneself well hydrated at all times and eating healthy are equally important in the upcoming summers.