Inputs by Ms. Neeti Chopra, Skin & Hair Expert, Unwind Salon & Cafe, Saket, New Delhi
The long-awaited festival-of-colors “Holi” is around the corner now, prepare your skin so you can enjoy the festival of colors with minimal damage to your skin and hair. Amid all the fun and festivity, what worries everyone the most is the extensive use of artificial colors made of harmful chemicals.
Prevention is better than cure– These Pre Holi tips shared by our experts will help you prep your skin to reduce the damage caused by artificial colors.
HAIR CARE TIPS: Oiling your hair with warm coconut oil, castor oil or olive oil 20-25 minutes before you start will help you wash off colors with less efforts. If you have dandruff, add 8-10 drops of lemon in the oil and apply it liberally all over your hair.
Pre Holi –
- NO CHEMICAL HAIR TREATMENT (Coloring/Rebonding/Perming/Smoothing/Straightening etc.) prior to holi. Application of colours to freshly chemically treated hair can make the hair dry and frizzy.
- Hot oil treatment is a good indulgence before holi. One must apply thick conditioner or olive oil before start playing with colors as it seals the cuticles and prevents penetration of colour.
- Making a ponytail, twirling hair up in a bun or wearing a scarf / bandana in case your hair is open are also smart ways to avoid exposure to hair while playing holi.
Post Holi –
- After playing with colors, you can wash your hair first with a conditioner and then with a mild shampoo. This neutralizes the colour & chemicals in the hair. Also, a professional salon hair spa treatment once a week, for six weeks is essential to get hair back to its natural & shiny self.
SKIN CARE TIPS: Apply oil all over your body & face (especially ears & ear lobes as these areas tend to get neglected) and massage it well one day prior to Holi. This hydrates the skin and ensures that less colour is absorbed while playing. Apply a generous amount of sunscreen to your face to ensure hydration as well as protection from harmful UV rays.
Pre Holi –
- NO CHEMICAL SKIN TREATMENT (Bleach/Skin Peel etc.) at least a week before holi. The motive is to keep the skin pores closed by moisturizing your skin well.
- FOR OILY SKIN– A gel based day cream mixed with sunscreen lotion should be applied at least 15 minutes before stepping out.
- FOR DRY SKIN – Almond oil mixed with sunscreen cream should be applied generously 15 minutes before stepping out.
- FOR COMBINATION SKIN – A combination of an effective sunscreen lotion with coconut oil should be applied & massaged well into the skin so as to protect both dry & oily areas of the face.
- FOR SENSITIVE SKIN – We highly recommend massaging your face with aloe vera or any mild face oil and also try to use only organic and safe colours.
- Drink lots of water before stepping out so as to ensure that your skin is hydrated well.
- Protect your nails by putting a coat of dark nail paint as this will prevent nails from getting stained. Also, apply a generous amount of Vaseline petroleum jelly to your lips before stepping out to avoid dryness of lips in the sun.
Post Holi –
- After playing holi, if you get skin rashes apply Vaseline or olive oil immediately. For removing excess colors, use a gentle face wash & body wash all over and gently use a loofah to get rid of any colour. Avoid any irritated areas. Follow this up with a nourishing body cream / lotion and also an enriching cream for the face.
- Washing your skin repeatedly can also make the skin dry and itchy. Use only a mild face wash or organic/cream based soaps to avoid any irritation or redness of the skin.
- Bleach, Scrub or facials should be taken as per the advice of a skin care expert only.
- In case of the rashes or bruises get severe, one should contact dermatologist at the earliest.
- EYES – In case of any irritation in the eyes after playing, put I-cool drops for 2-3 times a day.
- Use natural aloe vera gel or cucumber juice to soothe any irritations or redness caused due to colours.